Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Either Up or Down



I begin the first White Table Post with some disquietude. I hope that the discussion is as enlightening as were the many conversations had around the White Table, with steaming chicken bowls before us.
I thought it would be appropriate to begin the White Blog with a discussion about progression and individual versus absolute truth. Are we always rising or falling? Does everything we think, say, or do (which include the senses of watch and hear) draw us nearer or further us more from Christ?
My argument is that, yes, everything takes us closer or further from God. Alma asks, "If ye are not the sheep of the good shepherd, of what fold are ye? Behold, I say unto you, that the devil is your shepherd." (Alma 5:39) Moroni says that "the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil" (Mor 7:16). It sounds to me from these two verses that you are either the devil's sheep or the Savior's sheep and that good and evil are the same for every man.
How individual is progression in light and knowledge? If I decide to do something that either adds or takes away from my light and knowledge, would you experience the same result upon taking the same action? I'm thinking beyond the specific commandments that we know will add or take away from our light (e.g. breaking the law of chastity or not paying tithing).
For example, if I choose never to see another movie again in my life, will that keep me ahead in my quest for light and knowledge than someone who only watches Disney-Pixar films? And will the Nemo-Woody-addict be ahead of someone who will watch anything? Were the Anti-Nephi-Lehis better than the other Nephites because they buried their weapons of war? Or were they just making different choices, both of which can take them to exaltation? One more hypothetical, outside the media. If you bike to work, are you gaining more light and knowledge than someone who drives?
I believe that God is the same yesterday, today and forever (1 Ne. 10:18). I believe that good is good and bad is bad, no matter your background or personal preferences. I believe that with every choice we make we are either moving forward or backward. Amulek teaches that "every whit points to the great and last sacrifice" (Alma 34:14), in 3rd Nephi we learn that those who performed miracles were cleansed "every whit" from iniquity (3 Ne. 8:1). I believe that in order to achieve that state, everything we choose to see, smell, think, read, watch, say, hear, and do should bring us closer to Christ.
Now, let the White Table, and others who feel so inclined, speak.

No comments: